This is the first book in the adult urban fantasy Crescent City series by Sarah J. Maas. After my complete obsession with Maas’s ACOTAR series, when I heard she was writing an adult novel it instantly became a most anticipated read even before any information about the book was out.
Bound by blood.
Tempted by desire.
Unleashed by destiny.
Bryce Quinlan had the perfect life—working hard all day and partying all night—until a demon murdered her closest friends, leaving her bereft, wounded, and alone. When the accused is behind bars but the crimes start up again, Bryce finds herself at the heart of the investigation. She’ll do whatever it takes to avenge their deaths.
Hunt Athalar is a notorious Fallen angel, now enslaved to the Archangels he once attempted to overthrow. His brutal skills and incredible strength have been set to one purpose—to assassinate his boss’s enemies, no questions asked. But with a demon wreaking havoc in the city, he’s offered an irresistible deal: help Bryce find the murderer, and his freedom will be within reach.
As Bryce and Hunt dig deep into Crescent City’s underbelly, they discover a dark power that threatens everything and everyone they hold dear, and they find, in each other, a blazing passion—one that could set them both free, if they’d only let it.
With unforgettable characters, sizzling romance, and page-turning suspense, this richly inventive new fantasy series by #1 New York Times bestselling author Sarah J. Maas delves into the heartache of loss, the price of freedom—and the power of love.
I’ll try my best to make coherent sense in this review, but first
OH MY GOD I AM WELL AND TRULY AND FULLY OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK. Best read of 2020 so far and doubtful anything will be able to beat it. It for real made me laugh, cry, and got me a bit hot and bothered.
I can’t stop thinking about this book and want to talk about it 24/7 and force everyone to read it.
LIGHT IT UP! LIGHT IT UP! LIGHT IT UP!
- The book starts with a pretty heavy info dump and could have benefitted from a glossary.
- The beginning events hurt and to be honest I never fully recovered and am still in half denial.
- Smut level: risk of blue balls
- There is a bit of a long villain speech of like “ha! this is how and why did all the evil things!” which felt a little weird but wasn’t a deal breaker for me
- The characters, wow. I loved Bryce and Danika from page one and everyone else won me over in short order. I could easily see myself partying with them and having a blast.
- I really loved the urban setting and how much it was brimming with so many different fantasy species/creature with different power levels and hierarchy.
- The action in this book is so far beyond keeping you on the edge of your seat that you’ll be running around your house screaming with your heart pounding out of your chest – in a good way.
- There are several really emotional and powerful moments in this book that made me feel all the feelings and cry tears of.. not sadness but like deepness?? kind of happiness? Idk but it was GOOD. Also made me want to raise my fingers Hunger Games salute style.
- Romance. written by Maas. need I say more??
- It does not end on a big fat cliffhanger so my life isn’t completely ruined waiting until book 2 comes out! hurray!
IF YOU LIKE GOOD BOOKS YOU SHOULD READ THIS. But especially if you like urban fantasy romance and feeeeeelings.
5 freaking stars!
LIGHT IT UP!!!!!!!!!
Have you read this one? If not, lemme know and I will proceed to bullying you into it straight away! If you have, lemme know so we can freak the fuck out together!
light it up.