I won a free ARC of this book through a Goodreads giveaway, and my friends I was very shocked and very happy as I’ve never won a giveaway before! Thank you Avon/Voyager!
This is the second book in the adult vampire paranormal romance Night Rebel series by Jeaniene Frost. This is the second spin-off series from Frost’s Night Huntress series. I would highly recommend you read that series, starting with Halfway to the Grave, and the other spin-offs first and in the order that Frost recommend’s on her website here, before reading this series. Reading the other works first gives better context to this book and prevents any spoilers – also they’re my favorites and superrrr good! You can read my review for book 1 here.
In the newest Night Rebel novel, set in New York Timesbestselling author Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress world, beautiful, daring vampire Veritas risks all to protect Ian…
Some promises are meant to be broken…
Veritas spent most of her life as a vampire Law Guardian. Now, she’s about to break every rule by secretly hunting down the dark souls that were freed in order to save Ian. But the risks are high. For if she gets caught, she could lose her job. And catching the sinister creatures might cost Veritas her own life.
Some vows are forever…
Ian’s memories might be fragmented, but this master vampire isn’t about to be left behind by the woman who entranced him, bound herself to him, and then disappeared. So what if demons, other Law Guardians, and dangerous, otherworldly forces stand against them? Come hell or high water, Ian intends to remind Veritas of the burning passion between them, because she is the only person seared on his mind–and his soul…
Were there some flaws in this book? Yes.
Was some of it very predictable? Yes.
Am I hardcore obsessed with this series and all books in this universe and I love it so much and I love the characters and the romance and the sex and I can’t stop thinking about it all and hate that I have to wait forever for the next book? SO MUCH YES.
My god, I truly love Ian. There is nothing better than a bad boy with a secret code of honor. This book was super fun and continued to show off his awesome character, however like the first book it was slightly weird for me wanting the book to be in his POV and being slightly thrown off at first by it being in Veritas’s. I don’t know exactly why this is but probably just I’m just obsessed with Ian and want even more from him. I do really like Veritas though but she falls victim to that classic stupid, I’m keeping us apart for your own good instead of just COMMUNICATING which would solve half their idiot problems.
To prevent this review from sounding exactly like the review to book 1, here are some highlights:
- There is a new character that has an intriguing connection to Veritas. I’m interested to see how his story is developed and if he’s to be trusted or not. My vote is on yes.
- Cameos from favorites of the other series, which as an obsessed fan I truly appreciate.
- AND, we learn that someone who has been presumed dead since basically forever is actually not dead (though I can’t say I’m surprised, just happy we’re finally getting into it) and might be causing some conflict for fan faves Cat and Bones later down the road. I trust Frost will want to deliver some kind of awesome story around this and I’m trying and failing to temper my excitement. Could this be a teaser for a new spin-off?
- Veritas reveals more of herself and abilities and honestly it is badass. Ian shows off a new power. And they both protect their little pet creature guy and it’s so cute.
- Let’s talk cliffhanger. Overall, no one is actually hanging from a cliff but some new big bad the gang has never faced before shows up trying to fuck things up for the happy couple and also their lives are basically in chaos.
Anyways. If you’ve read any of the prior books you can’t miss this. And if you haven’t go read them all now and report back.