I typically try to read “a lot” of books each year though for some stupid reason and until a few years ago I’ve never kept track of how many I actually do read and I’d never even set an exact number amount as my goal. Thanks to my obsession with goodreads over the past few years I’ve been participating in the reading challenge and I’ve found I really like tracking my progress and trying to beat my friends’ (all 5 of them..) challenges. So when I started in 2015 I tried reading 50 books and only got 39, but I only started tracking and getting back into my binge reader ways in June, so I gave myself a break. In 2016 I again set the goal of 50 and got to 57 books, whoop! Then last year I was like lets go for 60!!! and than whomp whomp I only hit 39 again. I was working an intense job and planning a wedding so I try not to be too hard on myself.. But this year I’m back at it with hopefully a reasonable goal of 50, and hey I’m already 10 down! I’ll do another post about what I’m currently reading later (or check out my goodreads page).
In honor of this goal, I’ve decided this post should be about why morons who don’t read should give it a try.
1. You sound like a complete fool for proudly pronouncing that you don’t read and never have. If you start reading you will stop this. Then you will sound like, and actually be, less of a fool.
2. You’ll become smarter and more interesting to talk to, with an increased vocabulary and more topics to discuss.
3. Reading lets you experience other lives and emotions outside your own which can help you become a more empathetic person. And if you’re more empathetic, people will like you better.
4. People who do read will start to respect you more.
5. You may even start to respect you more.
6. You might actually become compelled to do something creative or even helpful for other people by contributing something to society. Especially now that you’re smarter, more interesting, empathetic, and respectable.
7. And because reading allows you to escape into adventures and romances you could never actually have in your own boring dumb life.
Unfortunately this fabulous list of persuasion for those dingdong non-readers out there will likely never be read by them. Because they don’t read. Obviously.
But, feel free to share this with non-reader friends and foes. Maybe being called a moron will be enough to make them click it, read it, and change their dingdong ways.